CBD Oil: Benefits, Side Effects And Precautions
‘Cannabidiol’ is a natural cannabinoid component of cannabis. Cannabidiol or CBD as it is ordinarily known, is extracted from marijuana, and is known to present a variety of health benefits.Unlike delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), CBD is not psychoactive. This means that it does not affect the neural system of a being when they use it. Oil is the most preferred form of ingestion of these compounds, as it allows consumption of large doses in easily ingestible form. However, research does prove that it has a significant medical pursuit, if used in a certain way, and is gaining quite a momentum in health and fitness, as well as cosmetic world.
Here are some of the benefits of CBD oil:
- Eases out pain: Studies have shown that it regulates the endocannabinoid receptor activity which alters sleep, appetite, pain, and immune response; it thereby reduces inflammation and interacts with neurotransmitters.
It has shown to reduce the intensity of pain in conditions like multiple sclerosis and arthritis.
2. Controls acnes: Acne is one of the most common skin problems faced by many of us, at some point in our life. One of the reasons listed behind frequent acne is an underlying inflammation and overactive sebaceous gland. This in turn, produces sebum, an oily secretion which causes outbreaks.
CBD oil acts on the pro-acne inflammatory cytokines and down-regulates sebum production.
3. Reduces mental health disorders: Anxiety and depression are the most common mental health issues faced by people all over the world. CBD’s ability to synchronise neuro-receptor serotonin is the key mechanism. It also helps to treat insomnia and post-traumatic stress disorder.
4. Can have cardioprotective effect: High blood pressure has been linked to a variety of health complications like stroke, angina, and even renal insufficiency. It has been seen that anxiety reducing mechanism of CBD oil is also responsible for lowering blood pressure. However, this has been seen majorly in animal studies, and human trials are essential to use CBD oil for therapeutic purpose.
5. Helps in quitting smoking and easing nicotine cravings: A pilot study has shown that people who used CBD inhalers, smoked fewer cigarettes per day and had no further nicotine cravings. It was also noted that symptoms associated with substance abuse like mood swings, pain, anxiety et cetera also subsided. More robust research is necessary in this area.
6. Cancer-fighting ability: CBD suppresses the growth of cancerous cells. It has been seen to show antitumour effect and prevents metastasis in lung, breast, and prostate cancer in test tube, as well as animal studies.
Side Effects and Precautions
- Besides a number of health benefits, there are also a few side effects associated with CBD. Being a compound that interacts with neurotransmitters, it can cause adverse reactions in some people.
- The noted side effects include: diarrhoea, psychosis, nausea, fatigue, dizziness, mild headache, altered appetite et cetera.
- CBD is also seen to interact with many medications, hence, it is very important to consult a doctor before you decide to the reap the benefits of this natural compound.