Top 5 Benefits Of Meditation During Pregnancy
Pregnancy can be an overwhelming experience for the mommy-to-be. And you’ll be surprised to know that what supplements, ghee, and pampering can’t fix, meditation can.Saint Francis de Sales once said, “Half an hour's meditation each day is essential, except when you are busy. Then a full hour is needed.” If as a mommy-to-be, you feel frazzled, rushed, and stressed, or even if you don’t, this read is meant for you!
With hunger pangs, mood swings hitting repeatedly, and the baby’s kicks being a part of the 9-month cycle, pregnancy can indeed be a stressful time for many expecting moms. The major reason being that expecting mothers spend most of their time worrying about the little one’s development in their belly.
Stress makes them exceedingly hungry and tired, and that is why the midwife or the doctor asks them to STOP, BREATHE, AND RELAX. And that is why we are telling you that meditation, for pregnant women, can truly turn out to be the labour of love.
Here’s how meditation can help
Meditation can help remove stress, and connect with the unborn soul within. Here are a few major benefits of meditation during pregnancy:
- Less physical pains – Meditation during pregnancy releases plenty of endorphins in the body, which are natural painkillers. Relief from pain is what the aching body of an expectant mother needs the most, and endorphins combat these, even while the mother goes into labour. The more one meditates, the higher the production of endorphins in the body, say experts.
- Meditate for melatonin – Expectant mothers need to have a strong immune system, not just for themselves, but for the unborn baby too. Many researches have revealed the calming effect melatonin has on the pregnant mother. It helps improve her mood, aids with de-stressing the system, and enhances happiness, while making the expectant mother feel full of life.
Research experts from the University of Massachusetts Medical Center have said that more melatonin is produced in the body when the expectant mother meditates, bringing calmness to her and the unborn life within.
3. More Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) in the body – Doctors want expectant mothers to have more DHEA in the body, which helps keep the immune system strong, and the body safe from certain illnesses. Moreover, DHEA helps improve youthfulness and vitality, while lowering anxiety, and reducing mood swings. It also cares for brain chemistry, vision, hearing, bones, and muscles.
The more an expectant mother meditates, the more DHEA levels in the body rise.
4. Reduce anxiety and panic attacks substantially – Expectant mothers need emotional help and succor at all times, and that is why meditation is a powerful tool they can resort to. Meditation helps restore the normalcy in bodily functions and the immune system during the trimester, and reduces pains too. Research shows that expectant women have lower stress levels to deal with when they meditate everyday.
5. Lesser complications for the newborn at birth – A study by the Vivekananda Yoga Research Foundation in India found that daily yoga and meditation during pregnancy helps improve the baby’s birth weight, reduce premature births, and lessen overall medical complications for newborns, according to EOC institute.org.
Meditation can help you embrace all the changes, while relishing this lovely phase of life to the maximum. It’s the only way to get in tune with your thoughts, emotions, and deep-set desires.