5 Things You Never Knew About Love Bites
“Hickeys, the love notes written in flesh.”Hickeys are opportunities to flaunt the hot sex you’ve just had, even if it means having to wear distressingly covered clothes to work, in the kind of summer that melts your skin. The best part about love bites is that every time you look at them, you are reminded of the throes of passion that rocked the foundation of your bed.
And on that note, before I get transported to another time, here are 5 things you might’ve never known about hickeys:
- Hickeys can hurt – Hickeys are caused by the excessive sucking or biting of areas in the body (especially the more sensitive ones, like the neck and thighs). The layer just below the surface of the skin is rich in delicate capillaries, that break when someone sucks on your skin, or nibbles at it with some intensity continuously, creating what looks like an ugly bruise. Hickeys are considered as one of the most common sex injuries, and just like any other injury, they can also hurt. It doesn’t have to always happen, and really depends on the sensitivity of the spot where it is, and the intensity with which the act of ‘giving a hickey’ was done.
- The link between iron deficiency and love bites – You may consider yourself victorious every time you emerge from a session of steamy passion with a hickey or two, but if you find yourself looking like a panther – spotted with hickeys every single time – then maybe you should start worrying about the iron levels in your body. People with low iron levels tend to bruise more easily, which is also a classic symptom of anaemia.
3. No cure for pyaar – We all have friends who swear by ice packs, toothpaste, or other topical treatments that make a hickey vanish in a matter of minutes. But the truth is, there is no ‘cure’ for a hickey; because the bruise is under the skin, no matter what you dab on, it won’t help. The wound will have to heal on its own, just like any other. The maximum that these cures can do is to reduce the appearance, mostly temporarily. The best advice here would be that you stay hydrated, and eat healthy. The healthier you are, the faster the healing.
4. What they didn’t tell you about the oral herpes virus – First of all, herpes can also be oral (and not just genital). If your partner has an active cold sore, and gives you a hickey with passion and intensity, then almost certainly the virus will be transferred to you via the slight breakage in your skin. Scary, right?
5. Scars of battle – Not all hickeys will permanently go, no matter how many ice packs you put, or how much make-up you use on it. Hickeys have left scars on people that stayed for so long that it felt like forever. It depends on your complexion and the severity of the bruise, but don’t hesitate to ask your partner to take it easy on the hickey the next time. Be more human, less vampire, thanks.
But don’t let these little things keep you from having a great romp in bed. These are just warnings that you should keep in mind while you get out there on the field to play.